Friday, December 08, 2006

Oopsie!

So as someone pointed out, the whole thing about Rachel Ray's husband being a raging pervert may not be the best piece of journalism I've ever done. I didn't look for two sources, I didn't contact the people involved, hell, I don't even know what real journalists do. Someone (me) decided to follow up on that and try to figure out who the sources for the story are.

Turns out this story started out in, none other than, the National Enquirer. So I guess that story is rock solid.

What else is going on?

Well, for some dumb reason Brady Quinn won some college player of the year award last night. Really? Brady "future NFL clipboard jockey" Quinn? He's not even the best player on the team. He also managed to lose the award for quarterbacking to Heisman lock Troy Smith, who has been stellar all season. But hey, I guess they can settle this on the field when they meet in the playoffs. Oh wait!

You know, this is the first season I've really followed college football, and I didn't want to in the first place. I've just kinda gotten suckered into reading about it and watching some games. However, I'm pretty sure this is also going to be the last season I pay attention to college football. Let's consider some of the reasons why:

1. Oklahoma lost 1 game (to Texas) and got cheated out of another (Oregon). Everyone acknowledges that the Oregon loss was an officiating gaffe. Yet I have seen NOBODY mention anywhere that Oklahoma should be a title contender. In fact, earlier this year I heard one announcer saying that the Oklahoma coaches shouldn't get so upset about the Oregon game because the Sooners "weren't going to make a title run this year anyway." Uh...wha? Didn't they then go out and lose just one game all season? Didn't they win the Big 12? I'm just saying that perception kept OU out of title contention more than actual, on-the-field performance.

2. Notre Dame had an outside chance at getting into the title game until they lost to USC. Meanwhile, Rutgers and Boise State were undefeated at the same time and were given absolutely zero shot of playing for the title. Rutgers is even in a BCS conference! Again, just because people percieve the Big East or WAC to suck means they don't have a chance. Perception.

3. Until the coaches and other voters took matters into their own hands, there was a really good chance we'd be forced to watch a Ohio State, Michigan rematch as the national title game. I repeat, there was a very good chance we'd have to watch a rematch as the national title game.

4. My favorite college team, the Unvirsity of Kansas, was bowl eligible (at 6-6). I repeat, a team is eligible to play in the postseason with a .500 record. Judas. Turns out KU isn't going to a bowl, but you can bet any amount of money that Notre Dame would get 1,000 offers if they were 6-6.

To sum up: Professional football, basketball, hockey, baseball, soccer, and curling all decide things by playing games against each other. College football decides things by throwing money around, by doing well the year before, and by avoiding interesting games during the regular season. It sucks, and I'm done with it.

No comments: