Ok, I admit it, Runescape.
Every time I close my eyes at night I see daphnia pulex neonates. I've got to admit, it isn't a really fun image, considering that's what I see all day long too. The daphnia are always swimming around in funny little bursts, and there are always an embarrasing lot of them. Why is that embarassing? Because I can't get that many in real life, and I could use them.
I suppose it is a testament to the human intellegence that we are able, in any sense of the word, to use daphnia at all. Imagine this conversation with "the first American" Ben Franklin that I just imaginarily had:
Me: Not only will science become the most important endeavor the human race has ever done, but we'll get so good at it that we'll be able to use Daphnia to understand things about the world.
Ben: What are daphnia?
Me: You know, those little waterfleas that swim around in lakes.
Ben: What?
Me: Tiny little crustaceans.
Ben: Good lord man, what could you possibly hope to learn from pond scum.
Me: Quite a lot actually.
Ben: I guess all the interesting questions have already been asked?
Me: (punches Ben Franklin in the head).
Ben is kind of a jerk.
Anyway, the point of this post was to burn a little time while my water samples are unthawing (it's like watching water boil. Doesn't happen if you watch.).
However, I also wanted to apologize to my fellow participants in fantasy basketball leagues.
I've sorta lost it. I mean, it's obvious I've lost the lead, but what I've also lost is my will to continue playing the game. I've been pretty spent after days of watching daphnia clones, so between work, my newest addiction (more on that in a second) and following the actual NBA, I've completely lost my motivation for playing the fantasy leagues.
For the last month I've been devoting all of about 10 minutes a day to this. Just about enough time to check my roster and update it to reflect who is playing tonight. I hope nobody has been sending me trades or anything, because I can honestly say I won't notice. The ten minutes I've been spending has been the first ten minutes I'm awake every morning, and frankly, that's not a good time for awareness of surroundings.
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at until I've been up for half an hour is wondering why my ankle makes a creaking sound in the morning. You ok down there ankle?
At night I'm a bit busy reading all the blogs I didn't get to during the day, sneakily fighting with my wife to have access to the computer at all, or doing things I should have done earlier. Oh, and when all that's done, I've been playing Runescape, which, come to think of it, deserves it's own post.
So, sorry about not being able to be competitive or at least try hard this season at Fantasy Basketball. I'm sure my crushing defeat at the hands of my competitors leaves them feeling joyous and overwhelmed by pride, but the truth is that I'm not really that good anyway. I'm sure they didn't notice the absence of my ambition.
No comments:
Post a Comment