A Night in the Little Apple
Again I greet my loyal readers and subsequently the emptyness of the late afternoon on the occasion of my work-related exile to a hotel room. This one should be nice, but the elevator is geologically slow, and the whole place feels...old. I don't like old.
Garden:
Hardly any of the latest seeds I put in the ground have taken off. I see no little leaves poking through the dirt, and that drives me crazy. Plus one of our tomato plants is struggling. Right now we have 11 cabbage/broccoli, 48 onions, 4 tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, 4 cilantro, 4 rosemary, 4 thyme, 6 sweet corn, 6 green pepper, 3 summer squash (yellow), another 20 or so thyme, 10 strawberries, 20 green-bean and peas and probably 40-ish spinach plants. But only the spinach, cabbage, and strawberries are really doing well. I guess the peas that have come up look ok.
The thing is, I can't spend enough time in the yard/garden. There's no limit to the amount of time I want to spend out there. Apparently, for me, giving up means gardening.
Death to the EverGreens:
You know the little evergreen 'shrubs' that so many people have in their front yard? On Monday I had the supreme satisfaction of ripping mine out with my bare hands. Admittedly, my hands were a little cut up by the first two, so I used gloves on the last three, but the point remains: My shrubbery is no more!
Thank god. In place of the shrubs we now have an assortment of native flowers and grasses. Big bluestem, liatris, coneflowers, salvias, brown-eyed susans, spiderwort. We've also got an assortment of interesting rocks I've found over the past year and a half all over Kansas. I want this stuff to look amazing. I can't wait for 7 foot tall flowers next to my front door.
Denver-Dallas:
Boy, that stepped up a notch didn't it? Wow.
Food:
Bison t-bone steak. Manicotti. Good times...good times...
Weight Loss:
Over halfway there....over halfway there...over halfway there....gotta stay focused. Must have Kindle....
No comments:
Post a Comment