Thursday, April 26, 2007

Where have I been?

Like the fist of an angry god (I like to think Thor), the fierce Oklahoma weather struck down my ability to interact with the world three days ago.

That's right, lightning strike took down our internet connection.

Right now we're limping along on connections in the library and the office, but dang, I hate not having the use of the internet for recreation.

HELLO! We don't have a TV!

Ok, I'm being told that yes, we do have a TV. Apparently its that thing I use to play video games. Wait...really?

Ok, yes. That's a TV. I thought it was an arcade.

Hmm.

See without the internet I can't think. I know, kinda weird.

SO ANYWAY!

Stuff:
- Plaster casting. Ant hills. Scientists. I hope you know where this is going. And need I point out that there are pictures!

- Fark.com. Let me just inform those of you who still visit that sight: IT SUCKS! Not only does the the new site design look awful, but apparently anything you post in a fark comment is copyrighted to Fark (including pics).
Seriously people. There are better link aggregating sites out there. Like, for instance, reddit.com.

- I'm drinking a lambic beer brewed in St. Louis and infused with strawberries. I'll admit, I thought I hated lambics, but this one is pretty good. Plus, we've spent all the money in our budget for this month, and we have no other alcohol in the house except Guiness. Frankly, I don't know if I can handle a Guiness right now.

- All kinds of research spinning up. Toxicity testing with snails and daphnia, snail egg viability, toxistoichiometry with pesticides and pharmaceuticals, and more stupid fish LC50s. Groan. Nevertheless, progress being made. I'm basically just doing whatever I want now.
I'm going to write an NSF proposal. I know, that's bold, and damn near insane. I mean, the odds of me being successful are essentially nil. The effort will be enormous. Plus, I don't really have a great idea that doesn't involve toxicology (which NSF won't fund).
Nevertheless, I need to take a shot at some big-time grants, mostly for my own sanity. I've spent a ton of effort this year writing grants that didn't end up even getting submitted. That's frustrating.

- The NBA- God Orlando is awful. Kirk Hinrich is the best defender in the league under 6-5. Steve Nash is the most important player in the league. The Spurs are in real trouble (although they'll probably make it out fine). The Mavs are in quasi-trouble, only because people will continue to ask why Dirk doesn't put up ridiculous numbers. The Bulls look really good, I can't see them not making the Finals. There's no way the Pistons can beat them, there's no way the Cavs can beat them. Jersey, on the other hand, might be able to beat them (weirdly enough).

- And in case anyone missed it: The universe is a little less empty now. We have, officially, found another planet, outside our solar system, that falls within the habitable zone. That's right, the possibility exists that this planet could support life.
Humanity: You have a goal.

No comments: