Some things I learned today
I spent my day instructing, teaching, entertaining, and educating (in no particular order) a bunch of 7th and 8th grade students. I figured, naively that this would be about like providing content for 9th graders.
That’s just not true.
Here’s why, I think: 9th graders are constantly exposed to people (Sophs, Juniors, and Seniors) who are more mature than they are. As a result, their behavior tends to become more mature than their physical age alone would suggest.
8th graders, by contrast, are constantly surrounded by people (6th and 7th graders) who are far less mature. As a result, they act far less mature.
I’m sure it’s more complicated than that, but you get the idea.
Here are some ways that this manifests itself:
1. They never shut up.
2. They do not respect their peers...at all.
3. They don’t care.
4. Even the smart ones.
5. They never shut up.
6. They just want to get done and go ‘play.’
I find that last one to be kind of a cute concept. Does anyone really remember how to play? Jeez, I had forgotten. I can’t imagine being that carefree. There was just a constant barrage of screaming and yelling going on for hours this evening.
Here are some handy tips if you end up needing to create content for a group of middle school students:
1. However much you think you need to have ready: Double it. I figured I’d push 7-8 hours of content easy with what I had prepared, based on what had happened with a group of 9th graders. No way, I ended up filling about 4.5 hours! Ug. I felt terrible. We ended up spending the rest of the time fossil hunting, which was fun, so I guess it worked out.
2. Remember all those points in your talk where you ask questions? Yeah, that’s not going to work. You need to ask specific people questions. I can’t tell you how many questions I asked today that were greeted by absolute silence. I should have been pointing to individuals and asking them questions.
3. Tell them to shut up. Apparently they always hear “be quiet” or “stop talking”. Telling them to shut up worked pretty well.
4. These guys have the attention span of...well, 7-8th graders. That means any concept has to be explained in a 5-second burst. You might be able to string together several such bursts, but then again, you might not. Come to think of this, I’ve had this problem with many adults as well.
5. Try not to scream or laugh incredulously when nobody remembers what you said two seconds earlier.
6. Do you remember what you thought was cool in middle school? You do? Good. None of that will be remotely interesting to these kids. So just accept that.
7. Apparently the idea of herding cats could also be applied to middle school kids. I would have gone insane if I’d had to keep track of these guys, but the teachers here just sorta allowed the swarm to move. When I was in middle school, if you’d given us this much freedom, we’d have trashed the Dwight Eisenhower Memorial and gotten our middle school banned from ever returning. Oh wait. That’s exactly what happened. Apparently my wife’s dad (who lead this group) commands much more respect from his charges.
No comments:
Post a Comment