Saturday, March 17, 2007

Let’s look at some truth here:

So I’m drunk. Enjoy the random thoughts:

- I just watched a commercial from the University of Phoenix. The gist of the commercial was “We know everyone wants to achieve their goals, we can help.” And they showed this guy walking down from a cubicle to an office with a window and putting his stuff in there. The implication being that this was that guy’s goal, and that U. of Phoenix helped him to achieve it.

I’m just going come out and say it: This makes me sad. Our goals, as Americans, shouldn’t be to ‘get ahead’ or to ‘move up to middle management’. Our goals should be to save the world, to stop hunger, to stop suffering, to end tyranny. I know that’s cheesy and naïve, but we (Americans) are destroying the world by creating a lifestyle and technology base that is probably unsustainable. The only real justification we can possibly offer for our over-the-top existence is that we will save the world using our technology and bring the majority of humans up to our standard of living.

Middle management? If you’re not trying to save the world (in some fashion), then you need to think beyond the corner office. That’s just how it is.

- My goal this morning was to get up, take care of my work, and then sit in front of the TV watching basketball and drinking beer all day long. Unfortunately I felt really full when I sat down to watch TV, and so I road the exercise bike for 3 hours. THEN I started drinking. Oh man, Saturday has been ok. And yes, this was part of my plan to save the world...duh.

- I watched an older Third Eye Blind video. Oh man, I forgot how full of himself that guy was. Ha! “I don’t wanna go to London.” Go to London loser!

- My morning routine: Yahoo! Fantasy Basketball, then gmail, then Fark, then Reddit, then I go to work. I don’t think I could get out the door without this whole routine.

- I am drinking the last of our Tabor Hill wine. I’m not a big Tabor Hill fan, but it was the first wine I drank and liked. Good bye Tabor Hill.

- There are several places that give away land for free if you build a house there. Mostly these are small towns in the middle of nowhere (read: rural Kansas, Nebraska, and the Dakotas). However, as reported by CNN, Anderson, Alaska is doing this as well.
What? Really? I would love to do this. Who’s with me? All you have to do is build a 1,000 ft house on the land within two years. Of course the deadline is freaking Monday! So I guess I’m too late. Wouldn’t it be cool to own a vacation home in Alaska with a group of your friends? I think it would.

- I drink wine out of a coffee mug. Yeah, so?

- Of the group of friends I have from Kansas, I and JJ are the only ones remaining who don’t have a kid. That’s right, that means that MH is now a dad. Remember the kid next door who you played with as a kid? This was MH. We went to grade school, church, middle school, high school, and college together. For four years I slept in the same room as this guy. Kinda hard for me to believe that he’s actually a dad. Think about your friends who have kids, remember them when they were kids. Isn’t that weird? And in <6 style="">

- Some NCAA tournament notes:

Kevin Durant -- Everyone says he’s a cross between T-Mac and KG. Um, no, how about Marcus Camby with shooting range.

Point guards -- I don’t think I’ve seen a single point guard in all the 6+ games I’ve watch who could play at the NBA level. Maybe Texas’s point (D.J. Augustin?). Seriously, these guys are good, but when guys like Steve Blake and Dan Dickau can barely hang on in the league, and Sebastian Telfair is a washout...well, VCU’s Maynor better have a backup plan.

Tyler Hansborough – People keep comparing him to Mark Madsen, and he’s certainly got the look. Am I missing something here? There’s no way he can be successful at the NBA level with his style of play. In college he can overcome his lack of size, muscle and skill with hustle and heart. Yeah, in the pro’s that won’t work.

BC’s Dudley – I love watching that guy play. I don’t think he can make it in the pros, because he doesn’t seem to have any 1 skill that is pro-calibur, but damn, he knows how to play.

Michigan State – One sign of a good coach is being able to keep games close and win games with inferior talent. That Tom Izzo guy...he’s pretty good. I don’t think Michigan State has a single player who would get 10 minutes for North Carolina, and yet MSU was in the game until the 5 minute mark.

Texas Schools -- Hey, guess who is watching a Texas CBS affiliate? Did you realize there are 1500 Texas schools? At this point I’m just rooting against Texas schools so that I can watch ANYTHING ELSE. Like say:

Kansas – This has to be the year, right? OSU sucks, UNC is weak. The only good team I see in the tournament is Florida. Of course KU is on the same side of the Final Four as Florida. As far as I can see, these are the only two teams with a shot (unless Brandan Wright wakes up for North Carolina).

1 comment:

bramar said...

On the goals issue: "That's my nephew!! I'm so proud!