NBA thoughts
Ok, so Amar'e is going to the Knicks and the Nuggets aren't interested
in trading Melo and nobody knows where Bosh and Wade and that other
guy (can't think of his name) are going to end up, but the Raptors
have said they're ok with a sign and trade for Bosh with the Cavs.
What do we know at this point?
1. This is the most interesting moment of LeBron James's career. So
far anyway. Which is kinda sad. A trip to the Finals, consecutive
60-win teams and MVP trophies and I've never been more interested in
what he is doing than right now.
2. Unless the Knicks also get Wade or LeBron or somehow trade for an
amazing point guard (Derron Williams, Chris Paul, Steve Nash...that
might be the whole list) then this Amar'e deal will look horrible in 2
years. There's never been anyone I've watched play who benefited more
from playing with an elite teammate over the past two+ seasons (before
the knee injury, he was legit in his own right, but since then he's
never been the same). I'm not saying Amar'e will put up terrible
numbers without Nash, but there's just no way he is the primary
offensive weapon on a 50+ win team. As the primary complement to
another creator...yeah...he could add a couple more fantastic years on
his resume (it seems like he's been in the league forever, but I guess
he's just 27).
3. If the Bulls had a choice between Wade+Bosh or LeBron by himself,
they would be crazy to turn down Wade+Bosh. Only 1 other NBA player
has a deadly late-game arsenal that compares to Wade's, and they'd
have 4/5ths of a championship-calibur starting 5.
4. What I really want to see happen, more than anything else, is to
see Wade+Bosh+LeBron play in the same city. Chicago would be nice.
Clippers would be nice. Cavs would be nice. Heck, even the Nets
would be nice. I just want to see how that would work. Could Wade
and LeBron solve the alpha-dog battle? Would other teams just give up
and roll over? Can Bosh become a scrappy 3rd option who does all the
little things? Could a team with so much committed to three players
find the rest of the pieces necessary to compete? Any outcome other
than this would be a bit of a disappointment, and if they only thing
that happens is LeBron staying in Cleveland, Wade staying in Miami and
Bosh going to the Bulls, I'm going to be super-disappointed.
5. Finally, what the heck was Atlanta thinking? I know they don't
really have a clear path forward post-Joe Johnson, but there's no way
he's worth what they are going to pay him. He's not worth that _now_,
and in 2 years he'll be such a huge problem for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment