Saturday, February 21, 2009

Another facebook thingy

This is what the tag said:
"Think of 15 albums, that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life. Dug into your soul. Music that brought you to life when you heard it. FIGURATIVELY socked you in the gut, is what I mean. Then when you finish, tag 15 others, including moi. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it!"

Yes, i hate these things, but I got to thinking (in personal chronological order, with no repeated artists)...and since this is my blog, you get an explanation


1. Hysteria by Def Leppard
- First record I ever got.

2. Kerosene Hat by Cracker (actually, this list could have 3 Cracker albums)
- Favorite band of all time

3. The Presidents of the United States of America, by the same
- Fun and exciting

4. August and Everything After by Counting Crows
- The best music to be depressed to ever written, although honestly their second album was
even more so.

5. Anodyne by Uncle Tupelo
- This a story about drugs, rage, comical hormones, and lots of theft

6. Sparkle and Fade by Everclear
- For some reason this is the song I associate with not lying all the time anymore

7. Motorcade of Generosity by Cake
- A fun and weird trip to Denver that changed everything :)

8. John Wesley Harding by Bob Dylan
- History sucks

9. Nevermind by Nirvana
- Not what you would think. Didn't even listen to Nirvana until 2000.

10. Three Dollar Bill, Yall$ by Limp Bizkit
- Yeah...I dig Limp (at least the first couple albums). College nihilism.

11. The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse
- Modest Mouse made me realize there would always be better bands, and better everything in the future. For some reason this seemed less true when they weren't on SubPop.

12. Rockin' the Suburbs by Ben Folds
- This album got me through my last semester of undergrad

13. Left of Self-Centered by Butch Walker
- This album got me through my first horrifyingly year at grad school

14. The Sunset Tree by the Mountain Goats
- And this one got me through my orals

15. Separation Sunday by The Hold Steady
- I don't think I'm done using the Hold Steady as a crutch to get me through hard times. This is pretty much who I am, raw emotion, goofy appearance, and probably not as imaginative as I wish I was.


Yeah, not always pretty, but life-altering? Sure.

Some artists who didn't make the cut only because some other artist altered my life just before I found them (they continued a trend, they didn't start it), or because they changed my life, but not as much:

The White Stripes, Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, G-Love and Special Sauce, Gren, Eminem, Outkast, Distorted Penguins, Flaming Lips, Nickle Creek, Bright Eyes, Our Lady Peace, Third Eye Blind, Gomez, Ani Difranco, System of a Down, Local H, REM, Cheap Trick, Ella Fitzgerald, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Presidents of the United States of America, Neutral Milk Hotel, Johnny Cash...

God..hard to even cut that down to something manageable.

No comments: