Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ah, Hello there.

I haven't written in forever because A) I'm playing around with a new
blog related to work and science (analyze-everything.blogspot.com) and
B) I moved and didn't have internet for awhile. So here are my recent
thoughts:

- Jane Goodall is a monotone speaker, even if what she has to say is
interesting. That's my assertion, anyway, because I fell asleep for
part of the speech she gave in Wichita 3 weeks ago. I love living in
a major metro area again.

- We moved into a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with a gate that
closes at 6 pm. While the gate is a first for us, we also had a
2bdrm2bt in the last apartment. What really makes this apartment seem
new and different is that we've been living in my parent's basement
for the last three months. I'm grateful, and I'm not saying it was
hell, but having your own space, especially with a kid, is great.

- Speaking of the kid, aside from getting daytime and nighttime
confused over the past few days, this kid is fantastic. He lays on my
chest and cooes at mom for 20-30 minutes at a time on a regular basis.
He's a cutie!
Let me put it this way. I might be the most cynical person I've
ever met (yeah, it goes way beyond what I share verbally). but seeing
my son smile at me just makes me happy.

- Fort Scott Kansas is surprisingly nice, possibly accentuated by the
beautiful fall evening I find myself enjoying. The town is old, and
so the downtown (set on top of a hill) is full of ancient buildings
that have new signs. I ate at a mexican restaurant that served a
great margarita, and I walked around for about an hour in a happy,
semi-drunken daze.

- Weather in Kansas is so much better than it was in Indiana. I
spoke with my cousin (who's still in Indiana) about that today. NW
Indiana is somewhat beautiful in the fall, and the summers aren't
blisteringly hot, but for the most part, I hated the weather. By
comparison, this has been an amazingly hot and long Kansas summer, yet
a hot summer just means the evenings and nights are beautiful. For
reasons that are probably obvious, it feels awesome to go walking
around at 85 degrees at night when it was 105 that day. I,
personally, am just about incapable of getting enough sun in my life,
and so Kansas kicks ass.

- The University of Kansas's football team is 7-0. The University of
Notre Dame is 1- (a lot). "And the world turned upside down..." And
yes, I'm fully aware that KU's football team could be a house of
cards, but hey, this is still pretty cool.

- The NBA season is coming. Redemption for the Mavs? The Celtics
return to prominence? Will my (increasingly stupid looking)
prediction that Kevin Durant won't be a great pro come true? The
NBA!!!

- Finally, have I mentioned Kongregate? If you play stupid online
flash games, this is the greatest site on the internet. They have
badges...they have awards...they have levels. The entire site is like
a meta game. So awesome.

No comments: