Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Abstract manipulations of language

Ok, if you’re interested, I’m going to kind of a weird place with this piece, maybe. Don’t take anything you read here seriously…sometimes it is just necessary to release all the muck in your mind.


Just need some random word to start out with…how about he Oxford English Dictionary’s word of the day? Let me just look that up.


Waving.

*********************

I stood on the frigid side of a street baked in lead, waving my arm briefly to indicated I needed a ride. The bus squeaked to a stop, the door opened, the lights from another car waved by my field of vision. I invoked a small series of metabolic reactions resulting in complete (if short-lived) defiance of gravity. A laminated photography of myself with a fancy logo ensured that the bag of biochemistry imitating a bus driver would not harass me for hitching a ride. The windows sucked heat, the metal bars sucked heat, the seats did not. I sat.

Some period of time elapsed. Or not. One way or the other I realized we had moved. Light came through the window, struck my eyes, began to degrade my retinas very slowly. I raise a protective shield that blocked all wavelengths of light in the ultraviolet range, and all orientations of light save a narrow band. This shield protects, yet allows me to see. The bus squeaks to a halt. Doors open, apparently by magical intervention (I think I can see the small demons slaved into servitude). I step into air that is energetically poor and I immediately begin donating energy to make up the difference (pathetic as my donation is). I suddenly get blasted by trillions and trillions of air molecules that appear thrown by some evil force in the distance.


Again, a period of not time. I look up and am amazed by the sight above me. The spoon is not real, the cold is not real, the air is illusion, but my image of happiness is firm and absolute.


The grass is the sad color of faded chlorophyll, but beneath it the soil is black and the spring will come again.

No comments: